PureGear Mobile Lifestyle Series: Donna Sozio, Author and Media Personality
In our Mobile Lifestyle Series, we feature extraordinary personalities from all walks of life about their mobile devices – what they love about them, how they use and personalize them – and, occasionally, how they break them.
Donna Sozio is an author, journalist, and writing coach. Her first book Never Trust a Man in Alligator Loafers was featured on The Tyra Banks Show, Early Show, Good Day LA and over a hundred media outlets internationally. On the heels of that success, her second book The Man Whisperer landed her a lucrative TV/film option and will be translated into German in 2013 by Random House. She lives between Los Angles and Europe and frequently speaks on panels on how to break into the U.S. publishing market.
1. What’s the longest you’ve gone without using and/or checking your phone?
In Rome I went an entire week without checking my phone. I had suspended my US number and hadn’t purchased an Italian SIM card yet. That week felt so luxurious. Even a little rebellious and naughty. But after a week, I was ready to get in touch with the world again.
2. What are your favorite apps?
Google Maps. In Los Angeles, I organize my day to avoid traffic. Google Maps helps me answer the perennial question – “Do I take the 405 or side streets?”
Flashlight. I downloaded it in Tahoe while walking home from a party in the woods. Now, I use it all the time at night.
3. How often do you update your status, tweet, etc.?
Hardly ever. I’m a writer. I like to be mysterious.
4. Do you have any mobile horror stories? i.e. dropping your phone, emailing/texting wrong person, autocorrect?
Once a friend texted me something meant for her husband. We laughed for days about that one! Personally, I have a policy never to text after just waking up. It’s just not a good idea.
5. What platform are you on? iOS or Android?
6. When did you get your first smartphone?
I got my first smartphone January, 2011…days before I went to the Sundance Film Festival where it was attached to ear for ten days.
7. What accessories do you use – headphones, armband, screen shield, etc. – and what do you use them for?
I use headphones so I can listen to recordings without making everyone else in the room listen to them to.
8. What’s your ringtone?
Windchimer. I find it very relaxing.
9. Have you ever lost your phone? What happened?
I’ve never lost my phone… permanently. But there have been plenty of times where I’m crawling through my car with a flashlight wishing, hoping, and praying that I find my phone under a seat.
10. Which PureGear products do you like best and why?
The PureBoom Premium Sound Buds. Their sound quality is amazing.
Read more Mobile Lifestyle Series interviews: